How to Use Hashtag Expert: A Complete Guide
With over 25.5K five-star reviews and 1.89 million downloads, we’re proud to say that Hashtag Expert is not only the best hashtag generator app—it’s also the most loved.
Our community members love using our app because it saves them time. With Hashtag Expert, you can save yourself from painstakingly long manual searches and instead focus on creating great content.
The app is super fast and easy to operate. It creates personalized, highly relevant hashtag groups for precision targeting. All you need to do is just copy and paste hashtags that we recommend based on your own specifications.
As we're growing with more new members joining us every day, we wanted to make the onboarding process easier. So that’s the reason for this guide.
Here you’ll learn how to personalize the app and leverage the power of AI to generate hashtags that can help you:
- Grow your traffic organically
- Boost profile, page, and post views
- Expand your social reach
- Achieve your marketing goals faster
If you’re not yet a part of our community but are interested in an awesome AI hashtag creator, here’s your chance to explore our app and its features.
What Is Hashtag Expert?
Hashtag Expert is a hashtag generator tool powered by artificial intelligence. It picks up hashtags for social media efficiently and effortlessly. With this app, you’ll know which hashtags you should be using to gain impressions, visibility, likes, and followers across social media.
Now, why do you need Hashtag Expert?
Marketers know the importance and power of hashtagging on social media. Posts with hashtags drive more traffic than those without them. Using the right hashtags can help drive more organic visitors and engagement.
Often, the difficulty is with finding the right set of hashtags. So you ask: where do I get the best hashtags for my industry? Or, which hashtags should I use for more likes and comments?
Manual search is exhaustive; it’s also close to impossible to check billions of posts and identify the right group of hashtags. And there’s no way to track or compare performance.
Hashtag Expert replaces the guesswork with predictive analytics.
Each time you search, the tool looks up a massive library of 8.8 million (and growing) hashtags and generates suggestions algorithmically. All that happens in seconds!
Hashtag Expert supports a diverse group of businesses, creators, influencers, and individuals. It comes with numerous features and controls. You can explore and filter by industry, topic, language, country or location, daily trending, or recent #hashtags.
You can also choose from hashtag groups created by our community members, check stats and performance, and do a lot more with the tool.
Hashtag Expert generates data-driven, actionable, and accurate insights so that you can improve your social media marketing strategy.
No matter your industry or business, Hashtag Expert can help you reach your digital marketing goals.
What You Need to Know Before Downloading the App
Hashtag Expert is currently compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch, and MacBook. You’ll need iOS 13.0 or newer to operate our hashtag generator tool. You can download the app from the App Store, and it’s available in 35 different languages.
You can use Hashtag Expert solo or even share it with friends and family. It’s a one-stop destination for all social networking sites where you can hashtag—Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Pinterest.
Hashtag groups created with Hashtag Expert are accessible by all app users. You can check the analytics, look up top, trending, and popular hashtags by categories or post counts.
Once you download the app, you’re ready for the next steps.
How to Use Hashtag Expert
The hashtag search tool is super easy to operate and takes less than two minutes to set up. The best part is that you don’t require in-depth technical knowledge or coding experience to use it.
So grab your iPhone, and we’ll teach you how to use our app and become a social media pro.
1. The App Home Screen
By default, your app home screen is the Generate tab.
At the top, you’ll see the social media icons. Tap to select the site you need the hashtags for.
Below this, you'll see a search bar. This is where you need to enter the base hashtag and then click to generate the results.
There are two ways to go about it: Generate Hashtags and Handpick Hashtags.
Just enter your base hashtag in the search box, click Generate Hashtags, and then sit back and watch things happen.
Our app will search the library and generate the best combination of hashtags you can work with.
Scroll down to see more groups, choose from any of the suggested groups, and copy.
Once you’ve copied the hashtags, go to your Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, or any other accounts and paste them. It’s that simple!
Note: There’s another option at the bottom called Create Collection. If you’re curious to know More about that, here’s an excellent article.
This feature allows you to have more control over the process and cherry-pick hashtags that you want to use. Simply tap Handpick Hashtags on the app home screen, and then
type your base hashtag in the search box.
Wait for the app to generate suggestions. From those you can tap to choose the ones you like to create a group. When you’re done, tap to add the selected hashtags.
We also show you hashtags by the number of posts to make a selection depending on how many times they were used.
Our app keeps track of how many posts contain a particular tag and shows you the number based on the latest reports. Here’s how you can view this:
Stay on the same page and locate this button as shown in the picture. Click that, and a list of relevant hashtags will appear. Depending on the latest data, we’ll tell you how many times they were used.
Scroll down for more. Now tap to select the tags you want to use and add them.
Learn more about handpicking hashtags in this article of the same name.
Every hashtag group you create is public. This benefits you by giving you the credit you deserve, which, in turn, helps you become more popular in your niche.
The Profile tab is located in the bottom right corner of the app. It’s like your personal workshop. This is where you can find and organize your hashtag collections. Access the hashtag groups, collections you created, copied, and saved all in one place.
On your profile page, a screen similar to this will appear:
Now let’s break down each element and see what they do.
Toward the top of the page, you’ll notice two segments: Profile and Collections.
The Profile tab is quite interesting. Here you’ll see four divisions: Hashtags, Copies, Favorites, and IG Views.
These are the metrics we track, and here’s what they mean:
- Hashtags: The number you see in this category tells you how many groups you created.
- Copies: This tells you how many times your hashtag groups were copied by our community members.
- Favorites: Here, you can see how many times your hashtag groups were saved to favorites by other community members.
- IG Views: Want to know how many times people clicked your username and viewed your Instagram profile via Hashtag Expert? The number will tell you that.
You can find more information about the Profile tab in this article.
The next section is the Collections.
Collections are a way to sort and save your favorite hashtags so you can easily find them later. The best part is, you don’t need to spend additional time on it and can save as many groups as you like in the collections you create.
Each time you save hashtag groups (which we’ll discuss soon) you need to assign them to collections, either by creating a new collection or using an existing collection
This feature helps you categorize hashtags so you can easily distinguish between groups and quickly navigate, browse through collections, and identify the right set of hashtags.
Here you’ll find all the hashtag collections you created. You can edit, delete, and remove individual hashtags, and even delete an entire collection.
- To remove a collection, tap the yellow bookmark icon. From there, either choose Remove or assign to another category, as you can see below:
- To edit hashtags, click Edit.
- To delete or rename an entire collection, tap the pencil icon at the top right corner of the page and choose the right option.
Here you will find all the information you need to start using Collections.
The first tab on the app’s left bottom corner is Trending. We created this tab to help you find the most popular, trending hashtags across niches, topics, and social media sites.
Here you’ll find interesting, useful data that can help you find which hashtags are popular, the most recent hashtags, and a lot more.
To set that up and fine-tune the data personalized to your social profile for your industry and niche, follow these steps:
Step 1: Select Your Preferred Social Platform
If you want insights for TikTok, but you selected Instagram from the list of social platforms, that won’t help you. We recommend that you first choose the social media platform before analyzing the data because metrics for each social platform greatly vary.
Here’s how to do it:
At the right corner of the search bar, you'll notice a yellow icon. Tap that, and you can choose the site you want to work on.
Now you can see another page where you can tap the appropriate icon to select a social network.
Once you have your site selected, explore hashtag analytics by category or trending.
Step 2: Select the Category
Categories define your niche. There are 35 categories organized alphabetically. From beauty to arts, architecture to animals, business to education, finance to lifestyle, the list is pretty comprehensive.
Choose your category to cut through the noise and get reliable insights on topics you follow. You’ll find this option on the same page where you selected the social site.
On the same screen, below the social media icons, you’ll notice the category. By default, it's All Categories.
To change that and search only by your industry, click the down arrow. Now tap to select your niche, and click Apply Filters. That’s it.
You can further refine the results by applying filters like country, language, and rating.
Step 3: Search by Trending
Trending generates suggestions for hashtags based on the filters you applied.
There are four divisions, and they appear horizontally below the search bar.
- Trending: This segment shows the past week’s data. It tells you about the most copied hashtags for that duration.
- Top: This refers to the popular hashtags that have the most copies to date. It tells you about the all-time data.
- New: The latest hashtag groups created by our app community members.
- Recent: These hashtags have been copied most recently.
Visit resources to know more about Trending.
4. App Configuration
App configuration is the key to personalizing the app and generating customized hashtag suggestions.
Configuring the app is also helpful if you want to add your unique hashtags for branding. The app will automatically create hashtag groups with your brand hashtag in it.
We’ll explain how to do that and take you through the options.
On the app home screen, near the search box, you’ll find the configuration icon.
You can control the algorithms on the configuration page, choose the number of hashtags per search, copying format and style, and other properties. When you’re done making changes, tap Save.
- Hashtags Per Generation: Drag the pointer to select how many hashtags you want to generate per search. The maximum number of generated hashtags is 30.
- Algorithm: We use nine different algorithms for hashtag generation. Algorithms play a crucial role because they do the most important job: generate hashtags. When choosing an algorithm, keep in mind that each works differently. For example, if you want hashtags based on relevancy, go for Repeated or Exact. For personalized recommendations, select Personalized. You can find all about the algorithms in this article.
- Post Count Filter: If you want to ditch the algorithm settings for now and just collect hashtag data based on post counts of the Instagrammers, enter the minimum, maximum, or both. Hashtag Expert will collect information and generate results based only on your inputs.
- Default Hashtags: Want your unique hashtags to be included in hashtag groups we generate? You can do it here. Whether you’re running a campaign with unique hashtags or slogans, or want others to know about your brand hashtags, you can add them here.
- Blocked Hashtags: If you want to exclude specific hashtags from the suggested groups, you can add them here.
- Copying Format: Preset the content copying format and forget all about it. Our app will follow your instructions and give you the hashtags in a ready-to-paste format. You can add emojis, dots, spaces, and anything you want all your posts to contain.
- Copying Style: How would you like to arrange the hashtags? We provide several choices and styles like all uppercase, cliff, or mountain. So tap to select your style and save. We’ll remember your selection and generate hashtags in that format.
- Spacer: Spacers are formatting patterns that can be signs or special characters like dots (.), hashtags (#), star (⭐), or heart (❤️). The spacers are added between two hashtags.
- Include Base Hashtags: If you want our hashtag suggestions to have the base tags, swipe the button to the right.
- Attribution: It’s optional. Attribution lets you tag us on your posts. Swipe to the right to activate this feature and add “via @hashtagexpert” at the end of copied hashtags.
- You can read more about app configuration here.
5. Editing and Saving
- Save hashtag groups: Throughout the app, you’ll notice a yellow bookmark icon.
Click this logo to save hashtag groups for later. As you do that, you’ll be asked to name a collection under which can save the hashtags.
If you already have a collection that you want to use, choose that from the suggestions below. If you don’t find a suitable collection, create a new one.
You can view the saved tags in the Profile tab.
- Edit hashtag groups: To edit the hashtag groups, simply tap the pencil icon that says Edit.
Once you do that, on the next screen you’ll see something like this:
Now just tap to select the hashtags you want to edit or delete.
You can choose what you want to do with the selected hashtags at the bottom of the screen( i.e., if you want to delete them or copy them). If you want to know more about how to edit a group of hashtags, this handy guide can help you.
Social media algorithms vary all the time. The changes reflect in how the hashtags perform, so it’s a must-watch.
Each hashtag group we create comes with a tag to check performance; simply click Performance.
Next, you’ll see segmented cards with unique functionalities. Here you can find hashtag-related information like the ratings or category. Scroll further down to view the combined performance report as well as separate, in-depth analysis by hashtag, personal suggestions, difficulty level, and many other things.
Explore more about Performance here.
Hashtags work best when they’re targeted,and Hashtag Expert lets you do that through app controls. You can change the settings anytime, experiment with new hashtags and groups, make data-driven decisions, and improve social media ROI.
Now that you know how to use Hashtag Expert, it’s time to put that knowledge to use and achieve great results.
If you haven’t downloaded the app already, do it now.
Get found and get loved!